Tuesday, August 29, 2006

 

got handspun?

Here is a sampling of scarves made from some of the handspun yarn I designed at Penland. First up: This was alpaca roving, one grey and one white, both painted the same colors. When it was dry I stripped each roving very thin and held the 2 together to spin a singles yarn for the weft. The warp is a laceweight yarn that I chained on the warping board, tied really well, and painted the using the same colors as for the alpaca. This was highly sucessful, and especially nice since the warp was already measured out and just had to be threaded on the loom. I think the colors are kind of anemic, but the scarf is nice and soft. This one has singles (blended colors) weft, and a painted roving handspun 2 ply warp that I had spun for another project. It matched the singles so well, I just had to use it.
This is a 2 ply corriedale white handspun, painted with reds, golds, and accented with greens. I wish you could see the REAL colors-they are stunning. It is a rich autumnal orangey-red.
This was the most nerve-wracking. I used singles for weft AND warp. I only had 2 broken warp threads, so I was thrilled. I had bits and pieces of yarn, so I chose the largest amount to be the warp, and divided up the rest into 1/4 ounce balls and wove it in large color bands. I will be using singles again for warp.
And the last one is 2 ply light grey Coopworth handspun and then painted with greens, golds, and purples. The color on this one is a rich green/brown reminding me of the forest. Coopworth has a lovely sheen to it too.
And that's all I have spun up. I have lots of little bits, but not enough to make anything. I have lots of spinning to do, but due to a lot of life stuff won't be getting to it until the end of September. See you then!

Comments:
Hi. A friend directed me to you blog, but in reading through your posts I realized I had visited before. Your photos and topics are still inspiring.

Your Penland yarn scarves are lovely. I love the colors.

I used to live in western North Carolina but never made it to Penland, so I loved seeing the photos.
 
Since I love to dye warp and weft I was especially interested in your scarves. The colors are great. I like the colors in the first scarf, even if you're not too sure. It's very subtle. The orangey scarf is my favorite!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?