Sunday, August 27, 2006

 

Ellen does shibori*

Remember back during Convergence, when I was talking about overdyeing a shawl, but it was not cured yet so you couldn't see it? Sure you do. Here's what I did. First I dyed a cotton shawl in fustic (alum & tannin mordants). Then, I used these automotive clamps that Michelle had to clamp the fabric. I folded and then tried to apply the clamps in a regular pattern. I don't know what these clamps are used for, automotively speaking, but they have square plastic clampy parts with a nice grid pattern on them. They are not the same type of clamps that you would use to jump your battery. They come in several sizes. I think I used 28 clamps. This was dubbed "the caterpillar" by the class. It was awkward to fit into the dye pot, but I circled it up and it just fit under the surface of the liquid. This is the shawl after curing for a month or so, washed in the washing machine with regular detergent. Some of the folded edges didn't get as exposed to the indigo as I would have liked.
And here are the beads I got for the fringe. It'll be another month or so before I get around to that.

*title suggested by Gail from Penland, who thinks I can also play the lute (I can't).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?