Friday, July 14, 2006

 

Color Me Convergence

Days 1-3: picture heavy post. Go take a shower while it loads. Days 1-3: I took a wonderful class from Michele Wipplinger entitled "The Color of Culture". We covered mud cloth from Mali, cochineal, lac and madder from both the Old and New World, and indigo from different cultures. First, the mud cloth. She brought in some examples to inspire us. These are made by the women, with mud + other ingredients, and painted on the handspun, handwoven cloth with a stick. The cloth was premordanted with alum, and we painted on some tannin. The women use the traditional method of making the design using the negative space (white part). The men do quicker versions using the dark areas of the cloth for design, for sale to tourists. The symbols all have meaning, but Michele said some of the meanings are secret, so if they tell you the meaning of a symbol, you don't know if that's really the meaning or not.
The shirt below is embellished with snips of tin from a tin can, hammered flat.
Here are some examples from our class
Another one from class
This one's mine (below). In looking at the examples of cloth she brought, if there are borders on the cloth, they are not the same side. Some border designs are for wearing close to the body, and others are for wearing away from the body. In a couple of weeks I have to brush off the mud and repaint. And repeat. And maybe repeat again. My mud is not very dark, so it will take several applications to stain the fabric.
Onward to color. These are silk skeins, all dyed with natural dyes.
Various reds, from madder, lac, and cochineal. Cochineal gives red towards the violet side, madder towards the orange side, and lac is the truest red. None of these are our samples, but we did sample skeins of all 3 colors in both silk and cotton.

Blues and related colors (greens). We did an indigo bath on the last day. None of these are our samples, but we did blues and greens. I did a shibori shawl which is still curing. When it's ready I'll show the process.
Indigo dyed cloth

I went to Convergence with my sister J and my friend D. We asked for a rollaway bed. They sure are different in Michigan than in the south. Thank goodness for the strap.

Sure was hard to turn over, though.
This is what we looked like by the end of Convergence. Completely drained.
And more than just a little punchy.

Other days to follow.

Comments:
sorry I missed out on such a fun time.
 
Oh my!!! My comment did not post. I just wanted to share how much I loved viewing your pictures of the work done on the back strap loom. I am now in the process of making one of these looms myself I loved your pictures so much. I am just now beginning to get into fiber crafts and now have my pima cotton seeds to plant this coming year. I have been trying a bit of flax growing over the past couple of years. I have not been well enough to do much but am just loving doing what I can when I can. I have a table top loom and spinning wheel along with a carder that should be arriving here shortly to give me plenty to learn with. I have been using a drop spindle and a tiny little loom just to experiement with a bit of fiber. It has been fun. I have been learning a bit of natural dyes and find I have many growing in my yard and gardens. I will be adding to this collection over the coming years. All of this makes the struggle of surviving alone disabled and turns life back into the joy that God meant for it to be. Do you have other websites that you post pictures and comments to? I love the way you present the material.
Thank you for sharing.
Patricia from Stockton, California
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?