Sunday, July 16, 2006

 

and all the rest

Wednesday through Saturday: I was in a lecture by Inge Dam on weaving tablet borders simultaneously on the loom. The pieces below show the borders woven on the edges, with different edge treatments (tassles, beads, fringe).
The rest of the pictures show the borders woven into the cloth. The cards are placed back where the heddles are, and the warps are divided into 4 groups and weighted with soda bottles filled with water for tension. As you weave, you occasionally have to do extra cloth wefts to make up for the fact that the tablet weaving grows faster.






I also had lectures on clothing of the 18 & 19th century, but since I have done a bit of reenacting I didn't pick up a lot of new information. Saturday was spent listening to woad dyeing and spinning for wrinkle resistance. Both very informative. I took a class in dyeing with shaving cream. J & D were in the class with me. The supply list should have listed a biohazard suit. It was the biggest mess. Blue hands for days. When we washed out the excess dye in the bathtub, it looked like a slaughterhouse. Out of 25-30 pieces, only 1 turned out well. No pics on these. Next up: a 3-day workshop on backstrap weaving and natural dyes from Peru. Si habla Espanol? You can probably guess I don't.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?